Optometry Giving Sight
Vision Source is proud to play a leading role in global efforts to bring sight and hope to people who are blind or vision impaired simply because they can’t access eye examinations and glasses.
We do this through our support of Optometry Giving Sight, a 501(c)(3) public charity that funds sustainable eye and vision care projects in underserved communities throughout the world.
Optometry Giving Sight was named the official ‘International Charity of Choice’ of the Vision Source network in early 2006. Since then, Vision Source doctors, staff, and employees have raised over $2 million for projects that are helping to transform the lives of hundreds of thousands of people in need.
Mission and Vision
Optometry Giving Sight is the only global fundraising initiative that specifically targets the prevention of blindness and impaired vision due to uncorrected refractive error (i.e. the need for an eye exam and a pair of glasses). More than 600 million people around the world are blind or vision impaired because they do not have access to the eye examination and glasses they need.
Donations allow Optometry Giving Sight to fund the solution by supporting programs that:
- Train local eye care professionals
- Establish vision centers for sustainability
- Deliver eye care and low cost glasses
Each year, the Optometry Giving Sight team is invited to attend the Vision Source Annual Exchange Meeting, which provides an excellent opportunity to partner with the charity and learn more about the projects that Vision Source donations help fund.
Leadership and Awards
The generosity of key individuals in the Vision Source network has been recognized through a variety of awards. The highly regarded ‘Philanthropist of the Year Award’ is given to Vision Source doctors who demonstrate generosity, leadership, and influence in support of Optometry Giving Sight.
The award has been presented to the following list of highly respected Vision Source doctors:
- 2013 - Dr. Dennis Kuwabara - Eye Care Associates of Hawaii
- 2012 - Dr. Mario Gutierrez - San Antonio, Texas
- 2011 - Dr. Amir Khoshnevis - Charlotte, North Carolina
- 2010 - Dr. Michael Goldsmid - San Diego, California
- 2009 - Dr. Jill Geering-Matheson - Juneau, Alaska
In 2012, Dr. Victor Connors was recognized with the only ‘Outstanding Contribution Award’ Optometry Giving Sight has awarded to date for his service and leadership. In 2013, the inaugural 'World Sight Day Challenge - Outstanding Contribution Award' was given to The Vision Clinic in Springfield, Missouri.
The ‘Practice of the Year Award’ is given to a group of individuals who have achieved a significant giving level as a practice as well as encouraged other practices in the Vision Source network to participate in charitable giving through a variety of creative fundraising tactics.
Recognition as the ‘Practice of the Year’ has been given to:
- 2013 - Isthmus Eye Care - Middleton, Wisconsin
- 2012 - Cole, Cole and Krohn Optometry - Fresno, California
- 2011 - Monument and Chapel Hills Vision - Monument, Colorado
- 2010 - Vision Source San Diego - San Diego, California
Committees and Service to the Charity
A number of individuals from the Vision Source network support the charity not only with their financial generosity but also through volunteerism on committees and in leadership positions.
Optometry Giving Sight thanks and recognizes the following key leaders who serve the charity in various capacities:
Individuals who support Optometry Giving Sight at the monthly giving level of $1,000+ or annual equivalent:
- Dr. John McCall - Senior Executive Leadership Team - Crockett, Texas
- Dr. Bobby Christensen - Senior Executive Leadership Team - Midwest City, Oklahoma (and Mrs. Jayne Christensen)
- Dr. Mario Gutierrez - Administrator - San Antonio, Texas
- Dr. Michael Bennett - Member - Juneau, Alaska
- Dr. Jill Geering-Matheson - Member - Juneau, Alaska
Individuals, with support from patients and staff, who give at the annual level of $6,000 to $12,000:
- Fig Garden Optometry CA (Dr. Jeffrey Krohn)
- Vision Source Family Eye Center TX (Dr. Moes Nasser)
- Isthmus Eye Care WI (Drs. Connors, Connors, Jens & Maursetter)
- Chapel Hills Vision and Monument Vision CO (Drs. Puckett & Hendrick)
- Carolina Family Eye Care NC (Drs. Lupinski & Khoshnevis)
The National Committee of Optometry Giving Sight US is proud to have, as its Chair, Dr. Mary Anne Murphy of Front Range Eye Associates in Colorado. Also serving on the National Committee are Dr. Amir Khoshnevis (Carolina Family Eye Care, North Carolina), Dr. Moes Nasser (Willowbrook and Deerbrook Vision Source, Houston) and Dr. John McCall.
Dr. Glenn Ellisor, Vision Source Executive President, serves on the Global Development Board, and Dr. Amir Khoshnevis serves as the liaison to the Vision Source Administrator network.
You Can Help
We invite all our members, staff, and patients to consider a donation to Optometry Giving Sight. You can donate online or by calling 1-888-OGS-GIVE.