Company History & Facts
In 1991, Vision Source was created by a passionate optometrist who was insistent on preserving independent optometry.
This led to independent optometrists uniting together and growing as one entity to compete on a level playing field versus retail optometry.
Vision Source is committed to the long term success of independent optometry.
Vision Source is for independent optometrists who desire to be a part of a unique, premium group of extraordinary eye care professionals and take part in preserving the heritage of independent eye care. Vision Source enhances doctors' practices through cost savings, collegiality, services and programs so they can focus on what makes them extraordinary--clinical excellence, unmatched patient care and business success.
Benefits of Membership
In accordance with franchise law, Vision Source is a franchisor, and its members are franchisees who own their respective practice. The members pay a revenue based, monthly royalty and in turn enjoy the following benefits:
- Managed care strategies
- Cost of goods savings through buying power
- Lowest equipment pricing in the industry
- Practice enhancement and professional development tools
- Strategic marketing strategies and services
- Professional real estate services
- Doctor and staff training
- Staff recruiting solutions
- Practice consultation
- Practice transitions
- Site selection
- Finance and legal support
- Local market leadership
- Business mentors
- Access to new patient channels
A team of more than 350 individuals manage Vision Source, including Regional Directors, District Managers and Administrators (member optometrists) who assist with member satisfaction and engagement.
They achieve this through ~1,000 meetings held during the year, including local member meetings, Vision Source Facilitator meetings, Vision Source Experience meetings, large practice meetings and meetings held for administrators and members at national, regional and local industry conventions.
Services Offered by Members
Eye care services offered at Vision Source member practices include:
- Comprehensive eye health examinations
- Diabetic retinal examinations
- Disease detection and management of chronic conditions, including:
- Hypertension and cardiovascular disease
- Macular degeneration
- Integrated, collaborative care model with primary care physicians
- Treatment of eye injuries, trauma, infections, inflammations and allergies
- Distribution of retail optical products
About Our Members
Vision Source was grown by like-minded optometrists who believed that the best patient experience and care comes from doctors who are free to make their own decisions about what’s best for their patients. The Vision Source membership consists of the largest network of private practice optometrists with 4,806 doctors at 3,344 locations spanning the United States. 1,800+ of these practices are branded with the Vision Source logo.
Our members include some of the most influential eye care professionals in the country, including 14 former American Optometric Association (AOA) presidents, with practices featuring the latest in technology, products and innovative diagnostic systems.
Vision Source is also committed to the staff members who work in each doctor’s practice and has created the Vision Source Representative (VSR) Program. With more than 500 program participants, the VSRs cover 115 regions of the U.S. and share best practices at national, regional and local meetings. In addition, the VSR group and their doctors have taken over 89,143 educational courses through 100+ programs offered online as a part of their ongoing education.
Key companies featured at Vision Source practices include Essilor, Bausch + Lomb, Cooper Vision Optos, Zeiss, Marco and Safilo. These companies offer the brands of Crizal, Dailies, Transitions and many others. These brands, combined with Vision Source Signature Eye Care from members, offer patients the most advanced vision care available.
Number of Member Practices
Number of Member Clinicians
- 1991: Vision Source is founded in Humble, TX
- 1992: First annual meeting.
- 1994: First Vision Source logo introduced
- 1997: Vision Source acquired by TLC Vision Corporation
- 1999: VisionSource.com and member websites go live
- 2001: 500th member joins; Vision Source Representatives program launched
- 2002: Proprietary line of contact lenses introduced
- 2004: 1,000th member joined Vision Source
- 2005: National coverage achieved with offices in all 50 states and the District of Columbia
- 2006: Smile Source founded; Vision Source expands to Canada
- 2007: Proprietary spectacle lenses introduced; First national TV exposure with CIBA Vision Night & Day
- 2008: VisionSourceLearning.com launched
- 2009: 2,000th member joined Vision Source
- 2011: New Vision Source logo introduced
- 2,652nd member joined Vision Source
- 1,100 branded member practices are externally branded as Vision Source
- IPA formed to contract with Accountable Care Organizations
- 100th Smile Source office joins
- 2013 Exchange achieves record attendance of 3,192
- 100th Smile Source office joins
- 2014 Vision Source Exchange held in Boston
- Smile Source joined with ACE, doubling its size
- 3,000th member joined, Dr. Ben Gaddie
- Vision Source launches "The Optical Dream," a member-only program to increase patient satisfaction and improve optical profitability
- The Vision Source Exchange is held in Phoenix, Arizona
- On May 18, 2015, Vision Monday announced that Vision Source was named the 2nd largest optical retailer in the United States
- On July 30, 2015, an announcement was made that Essilor agreed to acquire Vision Source
- 4,000th member joined, Dr. Samantha Love
- Record attendance at The Exchange® Annual Member meeting of over 3,800 attendees
- Vision Source launches "Insight," the member-only exclusive, interactive, innovative online community, and digital heart of Vision Source
- On May 16, 2016, Vision Monday announced that Vision Source was named the 2nd largest optical retailer in the United States
- Vision Source named CIO 100 Awards winner highlighting excellence and achievement in IT